It is true that our pets mean a lot to us and we would go to great lengths to ensure their health and safety. If humans need health insurance, then o do out pets. Healthy Paws is the the perfect organization to offer health inurance for pets. To find out more details, continue reading.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance was founded in 2009, and it provides one simple plan that covers accidents and illnesses, along with unlimited annual and lifetime payouts. Because of their medical grant program by the name of Every Quote Gives Hope, they support hundreds of pet rescues and animal shelters. The pet insurance they offer is extremely affordable in order to make sure that dog and cat owners are able to care for their sick or injured pets. The company gives unlimited lifetime coverage, a choice between deductibles and reimbursements, and a quick and easy way to submit claims. Let us take a look at Healthy Paws’ pet insurance, and its exclusions, pricing, customer service, ratings, and more to help you decide if its plans are right for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is pet insurance?
- 2 How does pet insurance work?
- 3 What is Healthy Paws pet insurance?
- 4 What does Healthy Paws cover?
- 5 What does Healthy Paws not cover?
- 6 Plan Pricing
- 7 Available policies: Accident and Illness
- 8 Waiting Periods
- 9 Coverage Limits
- 10 Claims
- 11 How much does Healthy Paws pet insurance cost?
- 12 Healthy Paws pet insurance reviews
- 13 Who has the best pet insurance for dogs?
- 14 Mobile app and online portal
- 15 Advantages of purchasing Healthy Paws pet insurance
- 16 Disadvantages of purchasing Healthy Paws pet insurance
- 17 Conclusion
What is pet insurance?
Pet insurance is an insurance policy purchased by a pet owner which assists with reducing the general expenses of costly veterinary bills. This coverage is like health insurance policies for humans. Pet insurance will cover, either completely or to some extent, the frequently costly veterinary procedures. Assessing and contrasting pet insurance plans is vital to track down the correct arrangement for you. Similarly, as with human health insurance, there is generally a deductible, which is a cash based cost before the coverage starts. Most suppliers will base the measure of the insurance expense on the average expense of veterinary consideration in the proprietor’s district. Likewise, the policy may not cover every veterinary procedure.
How does pet insurance work?
It works a lot like human health insurance given that plans come with payment features like deductibles, co-pays, maximum coverage, premiums, waiting periods, and no coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Deductible: Clients pay a certain small amount prior to when the insurance company starts covering the remaining expenses of the veterinary bills. Per-incident deductibles incur for each new cost. A yearly deductible alludes to cash the client needs to pay each year.
- Co-pay: This is the percentage that clients pay after the deductible. The insurer pays the remaining amount after you have paid the co-pay sum. For instance, if your co-pay is 10%, the insurer will cover 90% of the bill.
- Maximum coverage: Insurers will restrict the sum covered. After that, the pet owner will have to pay the rest. Most insurers give you the option for unlimited coverage.
- Premium: This is the amount of money the clients pays per month for pet insurance.
- Waiting period: The measure of time before your coverage kicks in. Often, pet insurance providers do not cover an illness or injury if it takes place during the waiting period.
- Pre-existing conditions: Such conditions are not covered. It means that the condition first appeared or showed clinical signs or symptoms (a diagnosis is not necessary) before your pet’s coverage kicked in, including waiting periods. The Healthy Paws plan excludes pre-existing conditions from coverage, as do all pet insurance companies. In simpler words, pre-existing conditions allude to a health condition that exists before the pet owner purchased the insurance coverage.
What is Healthy Paws pet insurance?
Established in 2009, Healthy Paws was the consequence of a chance meeting between a previous corporate executive and an insurance proficient at a local no-kill animal shelter. From that point forward, the organization has helped pet owners care for their injured and ill pets and contributed monetarily to many pet rescues and animal shelters. Healthy Paws gets rid of the menu of yearly coverage limits, supplanting it with unlimited lifetime coverage for each policy. That implies you can pick the best care for your pet for the entirety of their life, without stressing upon using up your benefits.
Is healthy paws a good pet insurance? The rating Healthy Paws has received on Yelp is average, while the one on Trustpilot is fantastic. Some Yelp surveys gripe about the organization increasing premiums without notice, particularly for more pets that are older. Best surveys on Trustpilot, notwithstanding, acclaim Healthy Paws for its quick claims processing and reimbursement. Healthy Paws’ insurance strategies are underwritten by Chubb which has an A+ rating from AM Best for financial stability.
What does Healthy Paws cover?
Just one plan is accessible for purchase through Healthy Paws. The plan covers accidents and diseases, but excludes wellness visits or any connected preventive consideration. Owners are additionally liable for paying exam charges from their own pockets, which can increase rapidly over the long term. The following list gives an outline of the sorts of treatments you can hope to have reimbursed with Healthy Paws. Covered treatments include:
- Alternative/holistic care
- Behavioral treatment
- Continued treatment
- Dental treatment
- Exam fees
- Genetic conditions
- Lab tests
- Medical boarding
- Preventive care
- Spay/neuter surgery
What does Healthy Paws not cover?
A per the Healthy Paws website, the plan does not cover the following:
- Pre-existing conditions.
- The examination fee
- Pre-existing cruciate ligament injury has a bilateral exclusion. On the off chance that the cruciate ligament on one leg is injured before you enrolled for pet insurance, or during the 15-day waiting period. In this case, the cruciate ligament on the other leg is excluded from coverage. This is the only bilateral exclusion.
- Preventative care
- Preventive healthcare including vaccinations, flea control, heartworm medication, de-worming, nail trim, and grooming.
- Parasite control including but not restricted to internal and external parasites for which widely accessible prophylactic treatments are present.
- Dental health care, however if an accident is the cause of injury to the teeth, the plan does cover the expense of extraction and/or reconstruction of damaged teeth.
- Spaying and neutering.
- Anal gland expression.
The plan does not reimburse the expenses, fees or costs related to elective procedures, boarding, behavioral modification, training, therapy or medications for behavioral modification. Make sure to see the policy for more details on exclusions.
Since Healthy Paws policies shift only between deductibles and reimbursement levels, price ranges are minuscule. For pets ages six and up, just one cost is present. This is on the grounds that coverage is restricted to 70% reimbursement and a $500 yearly deductible, so it is highly unlikely to adjust advantages to change your month-to-month premium.
These restricted choices imply that pets that are older will not ordinarily get the best cost. However, there is also some good news. In the event that you utilize Healthy Paws’ online tool to get a quote, the supplier will naturally compare its costs with a few competitors. On the off chance that the quote you get is altogether higher than comparable coverage with another organization, Healthy Paws will tell you and offer you the chance to look around with suggested elective suppliers.
The following list mentions monthly premiums for dogs and cats of certain ages:
Dog: 1 year
Monthly Premium: $20.33 to $43.08
Dog: 3 year
Monthly Premium: $23.74 to $50.37
Dog: 6 year
Monthly Premium: $34.11
Dog: 12 year
Monthly Premium: $155.74
Cat: 1 year
Monthly Premium: $8.01 to $17.04
Cat: 3 year
Monthly Premium: $9.36 to $19.93
Cat: 6 year
Monthly Premium: $13.74
Cat: 12 year
Monthly Premium: $61.31
Available policies: Accident and Illness
You can get direct accident and illness insurance with restricted customization options, if you choose to purchase inclusion from Healthy Paws. There is no lifetime coverage caps or limits with each policy, and you can choose from the following coverage options:
- Deductible: $100, $250, $500
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, 90%
Albeit some pet insurance organizations offer just accident-only policies for more pets that are older, Healthy Paws will cover pets six years old or more with a full accident and illness policy with an unlimited lifetime coverage, a $500 deductible, and 70% reimbursement for covered administrations. The accompanying services and conditions are covered by all Healthy Paws accident and illness approaches:
- Acupuncture, chiropractic care, and hydrotherapy
- Diagnostic treatment
- Emergency care
- Euthanasia (when medically necessary)
- Hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions
- Prescription medications
- Specialty care
- X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds
You would have to wait for 15 days after your enrollment date, before you decide to document any accident or illness cases. Moreover, you will have to wait for a year for ailments identified with hip dysplasia. Any cases documented before your waiting periods are up, will be denied. Healthy Paws likewise expects you to get a full test for your pet either before the beginning of your policy or within a set time after enrollment, depending on the age of your pet:
- Five and under: Within the last 12 months (or within 15 days after)
- Six and over: Within the last 30 days (or within 15 days after)
Healthy Paws’ waiting periods are among the longest of any pet insurance provider we have assessed. Coverage for injuries and diseases does not start until 15 days after you begin paying premiums, which means that you will be all alone until this time has passed. Some particular conditions are not covered until some other time. For instance, symptoms of hip dysplasia are considered pre-existing until a whole year after you start your policy.
Healthy Paws is among a small bunch of pet insurance providers that decide not to offer any plans with a yearly limit. At the end of the day, there is no cap on the dollar value of covered administrations that the policy will repay you for every year. You will enjoy some additional peace of mind when you know that even a significant sickness that requires expensive, long term treatment will not ever surpass the plan’s benefits.
Healthy Paws makes the claims interaction amazingly quick and helpful. You should simply snap a picture of your veterinarian bill and transfer it through the supplier’s mobile phone application or website. There is no form to fill out for claims, and no printing, messaging, or filtering is required. This interaction permits the organization to repay 99% of claims in a matter of 48 hours.
How much does Healthy Paws pet insurance cost?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one clear plan with no yearly or lifetime maximums on claim payouts. The premiums start around $15 each month for cats and $20 each month for dogs. Securing your pets’ health with Healthy Paws makes it simple to give them the best clinical consideration while shielding your financial balance from costly veterinary bills.
Healthy Paws offers probably the most reduced premiums that are found in pet insur ance suppliers. So, the organization’s policies have some perceptible shortages, like no coverage for tests or dental administrations, no optional wellbeing plan, and no special coverage riders. Using the Healthy Paws’ online quote builder, the following two policies can be made:
- Accident and illness insurance for a mixed breed, medium (31–59 lbs.), three-year-old, female dog with unlimited coverage, a $500 deductible, and 80% reimbursement came to $27.22 per month.
- Accident and illness insurance for a domestic longhair, one-year-old, male cat with unlimited coverage, a $500 deductible, and 80% reimbursement came to $11.68 per month.
Healthy Paws additionally charges a one-time administration expense of $25 to begin your policy. Albeit the organization does not offer any healthy pet or multiple pet discounts, for each friend you refer, the company will give $25 on your behalf to help destitute pets. The reference program is not accessible in Maine, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Vermont, or Washington. You can likewise get a full refund of any paid premiums in the event that you drop your policy in a matter of 30 days and have not presented any claims.
Healthy Paws pet insurance reviews
On the Healthy Paws website, it is stated that pet insurance reviews are focused on publishing reviews which are the reviewer’s own authentic opinions and encounters with their insurance provider. While a few surveys may have been altered to eliminate any hostile material, they do not address the assessments of Pet Insurance Review or its employees. The average client rating is 9.7 out of 10. For 60 days, the rating is 9.1; for 1 year it is 9.5; and for a lifetime it is 9.7.
While there is consistently caution against fully trusting outsider appraisals, Healthy Paws stands out with its scores. The supplier has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and composed reviews from clients are overwhelmingly positive. Chubb, the underwriter for Healthy Paws policies, holds an A++ financial stability rating from AM Best, the most noteworthy conceivable score.
Who has the best pet insurance for dogs?
Pet Assure was established in 1995 by a pet owner whose pet insurance denied a $3,000 hip surgery for his dog. The organization offers a 25% discount on most vet benefits paying little heed to breed, age, or condition making it the best pet coverage generally. Pet Assure gets high ratings from external review websites because of its usability and great client support.
Pet Assure offers a flat 25% discount on vet clinical benefits, including vaccines, teeth cleaning, checkups, parasite screenings, ER visits, surgeries, etc. Animals of all ages and pre-existing conditions are qualified and there is no restriction concerning how regularly you can utilize your card. Unlike other pet insurances which regularly just covers cats and dogs, Pet Assure can be utilized for bunnies, turtles, sugar gliders, horses, livestock, and even llamas.
Pet Assure has a couple of limitations, be that as it may. Services should be carried out in-house by the participating vet and cannot be outsourced to an expert. Albeit more than 5,000 practices acknowledge Pet Assure, your selection of providers might be restricted. Pet Assure additionally will not limit medications, prescription food, or non-clinical benefits, such as boarding and routine grooming.
Pet Assure offers month to month or yearly pricing dependent on the size of the animal, the number of pets that are covered, and where you live.
- All animals qualify for coverage
- Covers pre-existing conditions
- Discounts for multiple animals
- No deductible, waiting period, or use limits
- Does not cover medications or prescription food
- No coverage for outsourced or specialist services
- Not pet insurance
- Restricted number of providers by location
Founded in 1866 to cultivate animal welfare, the ASPCA has been offering health insurance through Hartville Pet Insurance Group since 2005. Notwithstanding affordable arrangements and an optional health rider, the organization additionally offers a 10% discount for each pet you protect, making it the ideal choice if you have many pets.
Despite the fact that ASPCA’s premiums are in accordance with numerous suppliers, its optional health coverage is more reasonable than most. Its Basic Preventative Care plan costs just $9.95 each month and has a yearly limit of $250. You can likewise pick the Premium Preventative Care plan for $24.05 each month with a yearly limit of $450. Utilize the organization’s online quote estimator to discover how much a policy will cost for your pet. Note that, along with offering 10% off of each extra pet you protect, ASPCA will discount 100% of your paid premiums in the event that you drop your policy in a matter of 30 days and were not repaid for any claims.
Hartville’s customer ratings are mixed. Albeit a few clients claim that it can require a long time to get repaid for claims, others acclaim the organization’s well-disposed and supportive customer service. Hartville’s approaches are endorsed by United States Fire Insurance Company, which has an A rating from AM Best.
- 10% discount for each additional pet
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Accident-only coverage available
- Flexible billing options
- Longer reimbursement period
- No unlimited or zero-deductible options
- Wellness plan caps at $450
Hartville Pet Insurance
Established in 1997, Hartville Pet Insurance is the only pet insurance provider to collaborate with the ASPCA. Not at all like other organizations that have age limits or force older pets into an accident-only policy, Hartville will not ever drop your coverage because of old age or ailment, making it the most ideal choice for older dogs.
Notwithstanding pet insurance, Hartville offers optional health designs that offer fixed reimbursement for certain preventative pet care services. You can pick between the Basic Preventative Care plan with $250 in yearly coverage or the Premium Preventative Care plan with $450 in yearly coverage. Utilize the online quote generator to get an expected expense for your policy.
In spite of the fact that Hartville covers animals of all ages, you will see your premiums rise as your pet gets older. Hartville covers end-of-life costs, in any case, and offers a 10% discount for each extra pet you insure.
Hartville has mixed consumer ratings, with certain clients complaining about muddled policy rejections and slow reimbursement payouts. Then again, satisfied clients commended Hartville’s quick cases and client care. Hartville’s pet insurance policies are guaranteed by United States Fire Insurance Company which has an A rating from AM Best
- Accident and illness coverage for pets of any age
- Accident-only coverage available
- Unlimited annual coverage limit
- Restricted reimbursement for preventive care
- Steep premiums for older pets
An easily recognized name in car insurance, GEICO offers pet insurance for dogs and cats through a partnership with Embrace Pet Insurance. The organization offers customizable pet insurance plans and health coverage in addition to the capacity to pile up to 25% in discounts, making it the most ideal choice of pet insurance for discounts.
GEICO additionally offers an extra Wellness Rewards for Routine Care plan that repays you for most prevebtative care services (routine veterinary visits, prepping, parasite medications, inoculation, and so forth) up to the yearly limit you pick: $250, $450, or $650. The plan acts more like a FSA than insurance, expecting you to pay your yearly limit divided by 12 every month. For instance, $450 of coverage will cost $37.50 every month.
GEICO additionally offers probably the best discounts ever, including a 10% discount for covering at least two pets, a 10% discount if your employer offers Embrace Pet Insurance as a benefit, and a 5% discount for currently active and former military individuals. Most states will allow you to pile these discounts up to an aggregate of 25%.
You can likewise save $12 in the event that you pay for your policy for the year upfront and the $25 admin charge will likewise be waived off. GEICO additionally offers a healthy pet discount, decreasing your yearly deductible by $50 for each year you do not record a claim. To get an estimate for your plan, use the online quote estimator.
Client reviews on external locales for Embrace are mixed, with most people complaining about prohibitions and postponements in reimbursements. Satisfied clients refer to the organization’s convenience and quick and amicable customer service. Embrace’s pet insurance policies are underwritten by American Modern Insurance Group which has an A-rating from AM Best.
- Accident coverage available in 48 hours
- Discounts stackable up to 25%
- Generous wellness rider
- No option to bundle with other GEICO policies
- Policies not administered by GEICO
- Senior pets limited to accident-only coverage
Mobile app and online portal
Healthy Paws has endeavored to improve on its claims cycle. All you need to do now is to simply snap a picture of your vet bill and upload it via the online customer center or by means of the organization’s user friendly mobile application. You can likewise present your claim by means of email, fax, or mail. Healthy Paws expresses that most claims are processed in a matter of 10 days. When finished, your reimbursement will be given within 24 hours. You can decide to get your reimbursement via mailed check or have it directly deposited in your bank during business hours. Healthy Paws additionally offers the choice to directly repay your vet, so all you will have to pay is your bit of the bill during checkout. The organization offers telephone and email support Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. furthermore, Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT.
Advantages of purchasing Healthy Paws pet insurance
- Unlimited annual benefits: The Healthy Paws policy has no yearly limits to the value of benefits you can receive.
- Quick and easy claims process: Aa per Healthy Paws, 99% of claims are processed in a matter of two days when submitted through the provider’s mobile app or website.
- Automatically compares rates with competitors: However, keep in mind that this organization is not the best option for every pet. Their online quote tool will help you figure out if they think you would be better off with another provider.
- Backed by Chubb: Its policies are underwritten by Chubb, a well-established universal insurance provider.
Disadvantages of purchasing Healthy Paws pet insurance
- Single policy: Healthy Paws has only one accident and illness policy with no way to add auxiliary coverage.
- Limited coverage levels: When you buy a policy, the choices for inclusion are very limited. Only three options are available for deductibles and reimbursement levels, and the yealy limit cannot be customized at all.
- Requires an exam: Pets that are enrolled with Healthy Paws have to go through a medical exam, for which the grace period depends on the pet’s age.
- Not ideal for older pets: Many pet insurers lower the benefits for senior pets, however Healthy Paws imposes severe limitations on any animal over the age of five.
In general, there are various other impressive suppliers other than Healthy Paws that offer fundamental accident and illness insurance. Albeit the organization’s premiums are noteworthy for an arrangement with no yearly limits, in our opinion, its absence of optional coverage alternatives makes it linger behind its competitors. In any event, we might want to have had the alternative to add coverage for exam fees and vet visits. A couple of other coverage riders for boarding, trip cancelation, cremation and burial, and health coverage would likewise profit pet proprietors. Although Healthy Paws offers probably the least complex and most clear plans and simplest claims process ever, it will still be a wise option if you look around and find a supplier that offers somewhat more coverage for your cash.