An annual MetLife auto insurance coverage locks in your rate for the whole year rather than every six months, which can be a significant benefit if you don't want to deal with the risk of a price hike.
MetLife is the country’s largest life insurance company that also provides vehicle insurance. While their premiums are often higher than the average, they provide custom-fit insurance as well as a variety of discount choices. Senior drivers, new car owners, and those searching for extra features may benefit from MetLife auto insurance coverage. However, customer service evaluations are varied, and if customer service is your main priority, you could be better off with another alternative.
MetLife, as a big carrier, offers all of the usual coverages you’d expect from a comparable provider, as well as a few extras that not every insurer offers. MetLife also provides 12-month MetLife auto insurance plans, rather than the industry standard of six months.
You don’t need to do anything if you already have MetLife auto insurance coverage. As the merger takes place, your policy will be migrated. Farmers have the authority to rebrand the MetLife auto and home business, therefore the MetLife branding on your policy documents may be changed with Farmer’s branding. For the time being, rates and discounts will remain unchanged, but they may alter in the future.
You have a few alternatives if you want a fresh MetLife auto insurance quotation. Online quotes take you to the Farmers website, where you can get a car insurance quotation from them. Independent agents who used to quote for MetLife still have access to the quotation software, which has been renamed to Farmers, if you want to deal with local specialists.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is car insurance?
- 2 How auto insurance works
- 3 About MetLife
- 4 Metlife car insurance phone number
- 5 MetLife car insurance discounts
- 6 MetLife home insurance phone number
- 7 Metlife insurance address
- 8 How much does MetLife auto insurance cost?
- 9 MetLife auto insurance coverage
- 9.1 Options for coverage
- 9.2 MetLife specialty insurance
- 9.3 Exceptional benefits
- 10 MetLife insurance pros and cons
- 10.1 Pros
- 10.2 Cons
- 11 Conclusion
What is car insurance?
It’s critical to safeguard your automobile investment whether you buy or lease one. Having auto insurance can provide peace of mind in the event that you are in an accident, or if your vehicle is stolen, vandalised, or destroyed by a natural catastrophe. People pay annual payments to an auto insurance company instead of paying out of pocket for auto accidents; the business subsequently pays all or most of the costs connected with an auto accident or other vehicle damage.
Car insurance is meant to protect you from financial losses in the event that you are involved in an accident or your car is damaged in any manner. Most states require you to have minimum liability insurance coverage; however, some states additionally require you to have other forms of coverage, such as uninsured motorist coverage. Premiums are the amounts you pay each month, biannually, or annually to keep your auto insurance policy active, whereas deductibles are the amounts you pay when you submit a claim.
Car insurance is essentially a contract between you and an insurance company in which you agree to pay premiums in exchange for financial protection against financial losses resulting from an accident or other vehicle damage1. The following are some of the things that auto insurance can cover:
- Vehicle damage, whether it’s your automobile or another driver’s
- An accident might result in property damage or bodily harm.
- Medical costs and/or burial expenditures incurred as a result of a car accident
What’s covered depends on your state’s minimum coverage standards as well as any other coverage choices you want to include. Except for New Hampshire, every state requires drivers to carry a minimum level of bodily injury and property damage liability coverage.
How auto insurance works
The insurance provider promises to reimburse your damages as stipulated in your policy in exchange for a premium. Individual policies are priced to let you tailor coverage amounts to your specific requirements and budget. The policy period is generally six or twelve months, and it is renewable. When it’s time to renew a policy and pay a new premium, an insurer will contact the consumer.
Whether or not they need a minimum level of auto insurance, virtually every state requires car owners to have bodily injury liability insurance, which covers the expenses of injuries or death caused by you or another motorist while driving your automobile. They may also demand property damage liability, which compensates people for harm caused to another vehicle or property by you or another driver driving your vehicle.
A few jurisdictions go even farther, requiring automobile owners to carry medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP), which pays for medical bills if you or your passengers are injured. It will also reimburse missed income and other costs associated with the situation.
When an accident is caused by a driver who does not have vehicle insurance, uninsured motorist coverage reimburses you.
When you’re in an accident with a driver who has some insurance but not enough to pay the whole cost of a claim, underinsured motorist coverage protects you.
MetLife is one of the most well-known insurance firms in the industry, with a large network of agents and a diverse range of products, as well as some distinctive characteristics, such as longer-than-average policy durations, that set it apart from the competition.
MetLife Auto & Home, as a large provider, offers comparable coverage and pricing to its rivals. MetLife also guarantees “excellent repairs” if you repair your car through one of its authorised service providers, which frequently includes using original manufacturer components.
MetLife is available to practically all drivers, as are most of the large insurance carriers, but you won’t get the same degree of individualised treatment when making a claim as you would with a smaller, more specialised auto insurance carrier, which may explain some of the claims discontents.
Your coverage and rates will remain the same if you have a current MetLife auto or house policy; however, your policy will be issued by Farmers or its subsidiary Foremost. Keep an eye out for changes to your premium, savings, or coverage when your insurance is up for renewal. There is one exception: MetLife’s MyDirect program has been phased out and will not be transferred to Farmers, therefore MyDirect users will need to contact MetLife directly for further instructions.
You may still contact customer service, make a payment, manage your account, and submit a claim through MetLife’s website or an agent for the time being. Over the next several months, current policyholders should expect to receive information on the purchase as well as new policy paperwork in the mail.
MetLife has been in the insurance business for over 150 years and is now one of the most well-known insurers in the United States. Is MetLife auto insurance, however, the best option for protecting your vehicle?
We’ll examine MetLife auto insurance coverage, discounts, reviews, the company’s reputation, and more in this study. We’ll also analyse how MetLife compares to some of the country’s finest vehicle insurance firms.
We recommend receiving estimates from various companies before choosing coverage while looking for vehicle insurance. To receive free quotations from various top providers, enter your zip code below.
Metlife car insurance phone number
MetLife Auto & Home has been bought by Farmers Insurance Group® from MetLife, Inc. MetLife Auto & Home is no longer a part of MetLife, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries. MetLife Auto & Home is now part of the Farmers Insurance Group, which is glad to help you with your coverage in the future. There is nothing you need to do as a policyholder to keep your present insurance. To learn more about policyholder questions, please visit our FAQ page.
For auto insurance, MetLife offers a simple online quote and application process. To get a quote, simply fill out the form with your information, including your address, car details, and profession.
You can finish the policy application online if you’re happy with your quote. This is useful for shoppers who are short on time. If you’d like to speak with a live person, you may phone MetLife and set up an appointment with a local representative to finish your car insurance application.
Call (844) 246-8209 for a speedier quotation that allows you to compare MetLife to other companies.
When you buy MetLife auto insurance, you might also want to consider:
- Replacement cost coverage for main parts: MetLife will pay the total cost of replacement for specific parts of your car, excluding wear and tear.
- Replacement of a new automobile: If your new car is totaled before 1 year or 15,000 miles, MetLife will cover the whole cost of a replacement car, including depreciation.
- MetLife will cover an aftermarket sound system if it has been added to your home.
- Deductible-free glass repairs: MetLife will waive your deductible for minor window or windshield repairs.
- MetLife will cover costs incurred in an accident while driving a rental automobile if you have this coverage.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: While your car is being repaired, the provider will cover the cost of a rental car.
- MetLife will cover the cost of towing and roadside assistance in specific cases.
MetLife car insurance discounts
Depending on your MetLife, you may be eligible for a variety of discounts that might help you save money on your premiums.
- Student discounts are available (up to 15 percent )
- Defensive driving course (up to 7%), deductible savings benefit (up to $250 for each claim-free year), superior driver (up to 12% of all drivers in the household have excellent driving records), MetRewards (up to 20% for five years without a claim or violation), and auto safety devices are all examples of safety discounts.
- Discounts for loyalty: Affiliations with several policies (up to 10%), multiple cars, and multiple groups (average of 15 percent )
- Discounts on payments: Payments that are made automatically
- Other discounts include Mature Driver (for drivers over the age of 50) and My Journey (for drivers under the age of 50). (telematics-based discount of up to 30 percent )
MetLife home insurance phone number
In the insurance industry, Metlife is one of the most well-known names. Its homeowner’s insurance is basic, but it may be customised by adding extra features like guaranteed replacement cost coverage. Customers must call for assistance in most cases because the insurance company’s website and mobile app aren’t very helpful.
Availability of MetLife home insurance
Metlife homes coverage isn’t available in all states, and the company doesn’t provide detailed specifics on its website.
Metlife customer service
If you acquired your homeowner’s insurance coverage on your own, you can reach Metlife customer service at 800-422-4272. Customer assistance for plans acquired through an employer can be reached at 800-438-6381. Metlife’s Twitter handle, @MetLifeCares, is also a good place to go for help. Metlife placed 19th out of 23 firms in total customer satisfaction in the J.D. Power 2019 Home Insurance Study.
Standard home insurance coverage plan by MetLife
- Basic Policy – Personal property, liability, loss of use, and medical expenses are all included in Metlife’s basic coverage.
- Replacement Cost Coverage — For your home and personal items, customers can purchase extra guaranteed replacement cost coverage.
- Homeowners Insurance Costs Are Affected By Several Factors
- Repair and replacement costs increase as your home ages.
- Previous Insurance Claims – Having a history of insurance claims puts you a higher risk for insurance providers, resulting in higher premiums.
- Security and Safety Measures — Adding a home security system or other safety features might help you save money on your insurance premiums.
- Other extras, such as a pool, trampoline, or wood-burning stove, might also raise your insurance prices.
- If you operate from home, you may require additional coverage for any equipment, tools, cars, or goods you keep on your premises.
- Pets — Having an aggressive-breed dog may restrict your coverage or raise your costs.
- Home Improvements — As you make improvements to your home, you may need to raise your insurance coverage to reflect the changes.
Discounts on MetLife home insurance
Metlife provides a number of discounts that might help you save money on your insurance.
- Many states provide safety rebates for adding security equipment including deadbolts, alarm systems, smoke detectors, and automatic sprinkler systems.
- Combining Discounts – Metlife customers can save money on their home insurance by bundling it with their vehicle insurance.
- Discounts for Members of Qualifying Associations and Groups – Customers who belong to entitled associations and groups may be eligible for a discount.
How to file a MetLife home insurance claim
Metlife’s homes insurance claims may only be made over the phone, at 800-854-6011. Phone help is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You’ll tell an expert about your claim, and they’ll help you fill out any paperwork you need. Metlife will assess your claim when you’ve submitted the documentation and any supporting images or videos.
Metlife may send its own claims adjuster to examine the matter if the harm is severe. If your claim is granted, you’ll get a paper check for the amount owed, less any deductibles.
Cancellation policy for MetLife home insurance
Call 800-638-5433 to terminate your Metlife insurance coverage. To request a cancellation, follow the on-screen directions. It’s unclear whether there are any consequences for cancelling insurance.
Metlife insurance address
MetLife, one of the world’s oldest insurance businesses, offers a variety of insurance products to customers in more than 40 countries. They operate in all 50 states as well as the District of Columbia and provide a variety of coverage choices.
MetLife no longer provides individual life insurance plans since founding Brighthouse Financial in 2017; instead, you may only get coverage through a participating employer’s group plan. However, this can be a smart method to get coverage at a low cost and without having to take a medical test.
MetLife had a lower J.D. Power rating than many of its competitors, but it’s NAIC complaint score was slightly higher than normal. MetLife, on the other hand, has an A+ rating from AM Best and is the largest life insurer in North America, so it’s worth looking into if your company provides coverage.
The cost of life insurance via MetLife is determined by a number of factors, the most important of which is your employer.
To begin with, group plans will vary in price based on the number of members and even the demographics of the employees. Many firms will also decide to provide coverage for their employees, or at the very least pay a portion of the premiums. This makes purchasing life insurance less expensive than purchasing an individual policy on your own.
Though the overall cost of your insurance is usually determined by personal criteria like your age, gender, medical history, height and weight, tobacco use history, and location, this isn’t the case when you purchase into a group plan. The more coverage you choose, including extra perks and riders, the more your premium will be.
MetLife, Inc. Corporate Headquarters 200 Park Avenue New York, NY 10166 212-578-2211
http://www.metlife.com is the website address.
Department of Investor Relations 200 Park Avenue New York, NY 10166
Contact Information for Investors (webform)
Information about Common Stocks
The common stock of MetLife, Inc. is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol “MET.”
Records of Transfer Agents and Shareholders
Please contact MetLife’s transfer agent for information or help with shareholder accounts or dividend checks:
P.O. Box 505000 Louisville, KY 40233-5000
How much does MetLife auto insurance cost?
MetLife’s average annual premium for a full coverage vehicle insurance policy is $1,923, which is more than the national average of $1,555. The average annual cost of a basic coverage policy is $873.
Your rate, however, is influenced by criteria like your driving record and credit score.
Costs of a monthly premium:
- $128.96 for a 35-year-old female with a clean driving record.
- $$159.53 for a 35-year-old guy with a clean driving record.
- $205.13 for a 35-year-old woman who has had one mishap.
- $376.31 for an 18-year-old guy with a clean driving record.
Options for coverage
- Liability for bodily injury
- Liability for property damage
- Motorists who are uninsured or underinsured
- Coverage for specialised equipment
- Assist on the road
- reimbursement for a rental automobile
Influential factors for MetLife auto insurance
An accident on your driving record nearly always raises your premium; MetLife’s rates increased by more than $1,300 when an accident was a consideration. Because you’re perceived as a riskier driver after one accident, insurers will boost your premium to compensate for the possibility of future claim payouts.
For at-fault vs. not-at-fault accidents, MetLife modifies premiums accordingly. Unfortunately, the firm does not provide accident forgiveness, thus any collision might result in a higher premium.
Penalty for speeding
Although you may believe that receiving a speeding ticket is little, it can have a significant influence on your vehicle insurance price if it remains on your record. Insurance companies view speeding citations as dangerous driving conduct that might result in costly claims. MetLife’s premiums were $757 more on average if you had one speeding ticket on your record. Speeding tickets are frequently kept on your record for a long time.
Your credit score is another aspect that might affect your vehicle insurance quote. In most places, having bad credit immediately puts you in the “high-risk” group. With MetLife, individuals with bad credit had premiums about $1000 more than those with strong credit.
People with bad credit are statistically more likely to submit claims, according to insurance firms. Improving your credit score, on the other hand, can help you save money on your vehicle insurance when it comes time to renew.
Discounts on MetLife auto insurance
Only a few MetLife auto insurance discounts are available. MetLife’s discounts are far lower than those offered by the insurance industry as a whole. Customers who are good drivers, sign up for automatic payments, and bundle their policies with MetLife can save money on their vehicle insurance. There are additional reductions for employers and associations.
Length of MetLife’s vehicle insurance premiums
MetLife Insurance provides insurance that lasts a year. Your insurance will be up for renewal when the 12-month period has ended. Changes in your driving record, credit score, or claims history may cause your premium to rise or fall at that moment. You may also change the levels of coverage, add endorsements, and get discounts.
MetLife’s mobile app and online presence
MetLife’s digital experience is approximately average in comparison to the rest of the industry. The company’s website gives a broad summary of the policies and discounts available, however, it is lacking in detail. There are no particular coverages or endorsements mentioned on the website. Unfortunately, there is no way to acquire a quotation through the internet.
MetLife’s mobile app is a unique digital feature. You may use your phone to submit a claim, make policy changes, and pay your premium. The MetLife smartphone app does not yet allow drivers to request roadside assistance.
MetLife auto insurance coverage
MetLife provides all of the standard vehicle insurance coverages: 1
- Accountability (bodily injury and physical damage you cause to others, required in most states)
- Protection against personal injury
- Collision Comprehensive (sometimes known as “other-than-collision”) is a type of collision insurance.
- Payments for medical services
- Motorists who are uninsured or underinsured
The following are also included in the company’s basic auto insurance policies:
- Coverage for a rented automobile: Extends your coverage to a rented car.
- Legal defence costs (covers legal bills in litigation and reimburses up to $200 per day in missed pay when attending MetLife-requested trials and hearings)
MetLife also has a variety of other options (offerings vary by state) to help you construct a customised policy:
- Coverage for towing, roadside assistance, and labour
- New car replacement: Covers the cost of repairing or replacing a wrecked new automobile, minus depreciation.
- Coverage for a lease or a loan is as follows: If your automobile is totaled, it will pay off your debt.
- Damage insurance for automobile rentals: Covers the expenses charged by a rental agency as well as revenue lost while the rental automobile is being repaired following an accident.
- Important component replacement: Regardless of their state at the time of the accident, some major automotive components are replaced with new ones.
- No deductible on glass repairs
- Equipment coverage for custom sound systems
Options for coverage
Types of policies
MetLife’s website has fewer insurance kinds than other insurers’, with the just vehicle and RV coverage featured among the company’s online offerings.
Types of insurance coverage
- Liability for bodily injury
- Liability for property damage
- Motorists who are uninsured or underinsured
- Coverage for specialised equipment
- Assist on the road
- reimbursement for a rental automobile
- MetLife’s custom equipment coverage is included with all plans and covers up to $2,000 in aftermarket additions like custom paint jobs or stereos. For a little extra price, drivers may also get supplementary coverage for these alterations.
MetLife specialty insurance
It is a company that specialises in specialty insurance. Metlife offers specialised insurance for certain automobiles and other types of vehicles, in addition to the company’s basic levels of auto coverage.
- Insurance for commercial vehicles
- Insurance for classic automobiles
- Insurance for rideshare drivers (exclusively available to Lyft drivers in California, Colorado, Illinois, Texas, and Washington)
- Insurance for boats
- Insurance for motorcycles
- Insurance for scooters
- Insurance for ATVs
Premiums that are affordable for drivers with blemishes on their records
For drivers with a recent at-fault collision on their record, MetLife was less costly than other rivals. While all insurers charge extra for drivers who have been in accidents, MetLife’s surcharge was lower than Geico’s and several other well-known insurers’. MetLife is a good option for anyone seeking affordable vehicle insurance with a bad driving record.
Discounts are available for safe driving.
Motorists who utilise MetLife’s My Journey tool to track their driving patterns might save money on their insurance rates. This can save a lot of money and make MetLife’s rates more affordable.
Add-ons purchased after the initial purchase is protected.
When a motorist experiences a loss, MetLife’s custom equipment coverage will pay to repair or replace after-market add-ons on a vehicle (such as an improved sound system). Navigation systems, custom spoilers, custom paint jobs, wheels and grills, and other custom equipment are all included. Policyholders may pick how much after-market coverage they want, but $2,000 in coverage contributed nothing to the premiums.
MetLife insurance pros and cons
As late as age 70, term-to-universal conversion is possible
In some cases, you can change your MetLife term life insurance policy to a whole life policy up to the age of 70. If you get insurance before the age of 65, you can convert your policy before the end of the term or until your 70th birthday, whichever comes first.
There are several riders to pick from
You may be able to pick from a long range of policy riders depending on your employer’s group plan. Options include expedited death benefits, accidental death and dismemberment (including for your spouse and children), and premium waivers due to disability.
There is no need for a medical exam
You won’t have to worry about a paramedical test because MetLife only offers group life insurance right now. This might make coverage more affordable for smokers, those in poor health, and anyone who has had a medical problem in the past.
MetLife has an A+ rating from AM Best and a complaint score that is substantially below the national average, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Individual term policies can be converted from group policies
One disadvantage of purchasing life insurance via your employer is that you may lose your coverage if you leave or resign from that position. If and when you quit your employment, you may transfer your group term life insurance to an individual life insurance policy (if it isn’t already transferable) with MetLife.
Only group insurance offered
MetLife previously sold individual life insurance products, however, this was discontinued when the business created its retail brand, Brighthouse Financial, in 2017. MetLife life insurance is now only accessible as part of a group plan, so you’ll have to purchase it via your job.
There are no credits for term-to-whole conversion
Up to the age of 70, you can convert a MetLife term insurance to whole life coverage. If you do, however, this insurer does not give any term conversion credits, so be prepared for the sticker shock of increased permanent insurance costs.
Options for coverage may be limited
When you get group life insurance via your workplace, you always face the risk of having your coverage and flexibility constrained. Your company has the power to limit the amount of coverage you can buy (typically a multiple of your pay), the riders you may have, and whether you can get coverage at all.
MetLife has been in business for a long time and has a low number of customer complaints. It has a high claim satisfaction rating but a low overall customer satisfaction rating. While discounts are commonplace, anyone willing to pay for additional coverages will have a lot of options with MetLife. Even so, you might be able to find a better deal and a better customer service experience elsewhere.
The cost of auto insurance is determined by where you reside, your driving record, and the coverage you select. Customers who bundle numerous policies, such as home and auto insurance, with MetLife could save a lot of money. However, you should shop about and compare auto insurance quotes to discover the best policy and pricing for you.